Click for the Return to Learn Website

7/1/2020 12:59:00 PM
This site contains our Return to Learn plan for the 2020-21 school year.


FAQ Categories

Cafeteria FAQS

Other FAQS

Questions & Answers

Cafeteria FAQS

How much does breakfast and lunch cost for my student?

Meal Cost Reduced Cost
Breakfast $1.60 $0.30
Lunch $2.50 $0.40
Milk only $0.50  


back to top

How do I pay for my student's lunch?

Cafeteria staff will accept money for lunch accounts.  Students may bring money to deposit in their accounts or parents may deposit money between 8:00 A.M. and 1:00 P.M. in the cafeteria.   If paying by check, please write the name of your child and grade on all checks.  If you are depositing money for more than one child, please list all names and grades on check.  This helps us to credit the correct account.  Students use their IDs to purchase lunch items, so the amount is automatically deducted from the student's account.  Students are verbally notified when their accounts get below a certain amount. No student may charge more than $5.00.  If the balance falls below $5.00, an alternate lunch of a sandwich and milk will be offered.

You can also now access your child’s meal account balance, account history, and make account deposits through the Internet using

back to top

What is an "a la carte lock?" How does it work?

Parents who wish to place an "a la carte lock" on their child's lunch account should call the cafeteria, 558-2580.  This "lock" prevents a child from buying chips, juice, and other non-standard lunch items.  Cafeteria personnel are available to take calls between 8:00 A.M. and 1:00 P.M. 

back to top

How do I apply for free or reduced lunch?

Applications are available online through E-Registration in PowerSchool or from the main office. **  Please remember that a new application must be completed each year and returned to McKinley as soon as possible.  Call the department of Food and Nutrition, 558-2305, if you have questions.

back to top

Why does my student need a student ID? Where can he/she get another one if his/hers is lost?

Students either scan their ID's or enter their ID number to eat each day.  Replacement ID's may be purchased in the IMC for $2.00.

back to top

Other FAQS

What time does McKinley get out on Early Dismissal days? What about lunch?

Early dismissal for McKinley Middle School is 12:30 P.M.  Lunch will be served on early dismissal days. 

back to top

What should I do about a new phone number? What if we move away?

Changes in parental contact information or emergency contact information should be made online in PowerSchool through E-Registration.  If you are unable to do that online, please call the Counseling Office at 558-2351, immediately.   When a student is moving out of the district, a parent/guardian must call or visit the Counseling Office so that the necessary paper work may be completed.

back to top

How much is the consumable materials fee? What does it cover? When is it collected?

A $50.00 consumable materials fee is collected at the beginning of each school year.  This fee covers the cost of materials that cannot be used again, such as classroom workbooks and supplies for academic and exploratory classes.  Some special field trips or big events may continue to have separate fees.  Towel and lock fees for athletic programs, band instrument rental, and other extracurricular costs are not included. 

This fee can be paid online through School Cash Online or you can send payment to school on the first day with your student .  If paying by check, make payable to McKinley Middle School.  Please write the name of your child and grade on all checks.  If you are depositing money for more than one child, please list all names and grades on check.  This helps us to credit the correct account.

Payment Options: You may pay the consumable materials fee in full at the beginning of the year.  We realize that complete payment may not be possible.  For this reason, you may pay fees in installments. However, no notices of fees due will be sent during the year. It is the responsibility of the parent/guardian to see that fees are paid before the end of the year because unpaid accounts are turned over for collection at that time.

Fee Waiver Available: If your child qualifies for free or reduced lunch, you may apply to have the consumable materials fee waived or reduced.  Reduced fees are $30.00.

back to top

Where is the Lost and Found?

Lost and Found is located in the Main Office or Cafeteria.  Students who lose belongings should check Lost and Found as soon as possible since it is cleaned out regularly.  Students should have their name on all personal items.

back to top

What if my student wants to ride the bus home with a friend?

Effective, the 2012-13 school year, students will no longer be allowed to ride home with a friend on a district school bus.

back to top

How can I find out more about McKinley PTA?

McKinley PTA invites all parents to join us.  Meetings are held at 12:00 p.m. in Room 304.  All meetings are the second Monday of the month, or as noted in the calendar.  Every attempt is made to keep meetings brief but informative.  PTA meetings are a great place to visit with other parents, teachers, and administrators.  To be successful, PTA needs your participation.  For more information, contact Larisa Bickel at 298-0900 or email  You can also click HERE to access the PTA web page. 

back to top

What is a student planner? Where can my child get another one?

All McKinley students will receive a student planner during the first week of school.  The planner has space for daily assignments as well as a monthly calendar for long-range assignments.  Students are encouraged to use this planner every day in all classes.  Please check at home regularly to see how your child is using this important tool.  In addition, don't forget to look over the student handbook section of the planner.  It contains information about McKinley and its policies and procedures.  Replacement planners are available in the Main Office for $5.00.

back to top

What is PACT?

PACT (PROGRAM FOR ACADEMIC AND CREATIVE TALENT) is a program which extends the educational experience for many McKinley students.  McKinley PACT strives to include as many students as possible, with participation determined not only by standardized test results but by teacher recommendation as well.  PACT activities in the past have included Mock Trial, Math Olympiads, Science Olympiads, Science Bowl, National History Day, International Day and Archives Tours.  For more information about PACT, contact Ms. Karam PACT Teacher, at 558-4692.

back to top

What is McKinley's medication policy?

Only medication prescribed by a physician or dentist will be administered during the time the student is at school.  A physician signature is required before non-prescription or over-the-counter medications will be given.  The school has the right to contact the prescribing doctor's office to confirm or clarify medication instructions.  All medication shall be supplied to the school in the original container, properly labeled, and will be administered only by the health secretary, school nurse or other authorized personnel.  The parent/guardian must complete the Medication Permission form before the student will be allowed to be given the medication at school (Cedar Rapids Community School District Regulation 605.2).  All medication must be kept in the health office unless the school nurse has authorized otherwise.  

back to top

What should I do if my child needs to be excused from PE?

Send a note for student to be excused from participation for 1 - 3 day illness or injury.  A doctor's written excuse is required for conditions that require more than 3 days of missed participation.  All missed classes are to be made up, unless circumstances warrant other solutions.

back to top

What kind of extracurricular activities does McKinley have for students not interested in sports?

Non-sports activities may include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • Jazz Band 
  • Classic Edition (An auditioned concert/show choir of select 6th, 7th, and 8th graders). 
  • Drama Productions  
  • Computer Exploration
  • Spanish Club
  • STEM Activities (Science, Technology, Engineering & Math)
  • Student Council
  • Symphony
  • Yearbook  

back to top

Does McKinley have a low-cost insurance plan for my child?

Parents may apply for low-or no-cost health insurance for their children through the state's Healthy and Well Kids in Iowa (HAWK-I) program.  Children birth to 19, who meet certain criteria, are eligible.  The coverage includes doctor's visits, hearing services, dental care, prescription, immunizations, physical therapy, vision care, speech therapy and hospital services, to name a few.  Parents are urged to call 1-800-257-8563 (toll-free) or go to the website at for more information.

back to top

Is there a dress code at McKinley?

Students are expected to dress appropriately for the middle school environment.  Our mission is to provide a safe and orderly environment that is conducive to learning.  Inappropriate attire can be disruptive to this environment and will not be allowed.  Clothing needs to cover undergarments and intended body parts.  Use the following as a guide:

Allowed Not Allowed
Head:  Normal hair accessories Hoods, hats, scarves, sweatbands, bandanas
Top: Tops that cover all undergarments, back, chest and stomach Backless, see-through, spaghetti straps (unless a second shirt is worn under or over), cut-outs, low neckline
Bottom: All bottoms must cover anything worn underneath them and be belted if needed Short shorts, short skirts, leggings without a long shirt or sweater over them
Feet:  Shoes that are safe Slippers


Note: Clothing, jewelry and other accessories that contain suggestive, vulgar, or violent slogans or pictures are not allowed. Clothing, jewelry and other accessories that advertise or depict illegal products, alcohol or tobacco are also not allowed.
Any items worn or possessed by a student that, in the judgment of administration, disrupt the educational process are not allowed.

The McKinley staff makes the final determination on the appropriateness of a student’s appearance.  Any student inappropriately dressed will be asked to change their attire.  Parents will be called if this is not done.

back to top

How do I get homework for my child when he/she is absent?

Students must be absent three days in a row before teachers will collect makeup work.  To get makeup work, on the third day of absence e-mail your child's teacher or call the Attendance Office, 558-2150.  Work may be picked up in the Main Office after 3:00 p.m.

back to top

May my child bring a cell phone to school?

Cell phones and other electronic devices (IPods, IPads, MP3 players, Nooks, Kindles, etc.) are not to be heard or seen during the school day.  These devices need to be turned off and students are advised to keep them locked in their locker.  If a staff member sees a student with his/her cell phone (or other device) out, it will be taken to the office until the end of the day.  After the third time, a parent will need to pick it up.  

Cell phones are not to be used, for any reason, in restrooms or locker rooms.  Inappropriate use of electronic devices for negative behaviors such as bullying or academic cheating is unacceptable and will not be tolerated.  Inappropriate use of cell phones, or other devices, will be addressed through disciplinary measures.
Under no circumstances will the school be responsible for lost, stolen or damaged cell phones or other electronic devices.

back to top

Can't find what you are looking for?

Click here to ask your own question.